Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Things we see on bikes

I had to head out to deepest darkest Yei road the other day to go meet a government official who's office is slighlty off the beaten track. Things in the office being what they are, there was no car and I had already stood this, very important, man up twice, so I needed to get out there.

Hence, five minutes later I found myself in, from bottom to top, cowboy boots, a DKNY skirt, some tank top, a yellow helmet with pink and blue flames painted on it and my aviator sunglasses, astride a motorcycle being driven by our cleaner. Yup, I'm that cool.

As I said, it is a bit out, so I had plenty of time to look around and enjoy the scenery. Once we got a bit out of town I really started to notice something before I had overlooked - the rockbreakers. It is a major occupation here, rockbreaking. Streets are lined with plastic cans full of gravel. Just in case you want to start your own rock breaking operation here is what you need:

1. Get a tarp, put in on four sticks (or a tree will do)
2. Get a bunch of women and kids and put them under said tarp/tree
3. Give them a big rock and a medium sized rock and then a pile of smaller rocks
4. Have them sit there all day long using the medium size rock to pound the small rock into even smaller rocks on the big rock
5. Repeat

Seriously.

We stopped for a dead cow in the road and all I could hear was the sound of the wind and the chink chink chink of twenty dead-eyed people banging rocks in to each other. Over and over. Every day. Forever.

I'm not even sure I know what that level of boredom would be...

No comments: