Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Don't be a Mauritanian lady

In Mauritania, under article 307 of the law, it is said that it is not possible for a woman to get pregnant if she is raped and so, therefore, all pregnancies must have been the result of consensual sex.

I mean, really, WHERE does something like this come from? What cracked out, male religious leader took his vast knowledge of biology and decided this was worth enshrining in law?

I used to hear strange arguments like this a lot in Liberia and Darfur. I remember once screaming at a police commissioner, in the middle of a large public meeting, because he had told me in no uncertain terms that it was impossible to rape a young girl because all young girls inherently wanted sex all the time and therefore it was always voluntary. I think I actually may have said, in a ladylike and diplomatic way, that he should learn to be a real man and (I shudder at this now) "keep it in his pants."

I know I said I wasn't going to post until I could say something nice and blah blah blah, but I was just watching a BBC report about this and it got me all het up.

No comments: