Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Use your words....

I was leaving my friend's place last night when I heard a gunshot. This isn't too unusual, as you know from my rambling on, so I didn't think much of it, I just turned up the BBC and tried desperately to understand what the economist on "Business Hour" was talking about.

Well, about three or four minutes later, just as I'm turning through the huge lake that has formed on the road in Hai Malakal, I get a call. It's my friend, the one I just left. Conversation went something like:

"Are you ok?"
"Yeah, why."
"Someone was just shot in a car, I thought it was you."
"Nope, I'm good."
"Do you want to come back, are you ok?"
"Hell no I'm not coming back, people get shot where you are. I'm going home."
"Well... good point... drive fast."

Which I did, obviously, and, obviously, I'm fine. Turns out an SPLA soldier asked for a ride home and, when the guy in the car said no, the soldier shot him. Which is, always, the perfect answer to a problem, right?

No comments: